Open Wide

Open Wide

Thursday, March 8, 2007

It's Like Ladies Night, Only Gay

Finally. It looks like the Black Party might be getting its groove back, but no. I’ll give them a few points for choosing a fun theme this year, but I still won’t go. After a several-year hiatus induced by increasingly crappy music and a strong upsurge in the popularity of crystal meth, my man and I briefly considered going to last year’s BP. Then we saw they were advertising steeply discounted tix to kids under 30 and thought better of it. When we were under 30, we had to scrimp and save for months just to be able to afford to go. (I even remember trekking all the way to Franklin Mills to get a good deal on black Levis...) This year instead of coming right out and saying that they want more party-goers under the age of 30 and are willing to subsidize it, they are only offering discount admission after 4:00 am and only to kids born after September 20, 1980 (the Saint’s birthday). I might have smoked enough pot in my lifetime to stop a sperm whale on its way up for air, but I can still do the math. My gut tells me the result will be a crowd composed mostly of 20-somethings and well-off 50-and-up-somethings. The guys in their 30s and 40s, for whom $125 is still a hefty cover charge, who remember having to pay full price when they were that age, will probably find something better to do.

No comments: