Open Wide

Open Wide

Monday, March 12, 2007

"When the rain washes you clean, you will know"

A friend of mine [Jason] has just about convinced me to attend Night Of A Thousand Stevies in NYC this May. For all I know, it could already be sold out. Looks like a fun time though. However, the same friend convinced me to go to a Star Trek convention at the Valley Forge Convention Center a number of years ago, and that was kind of a bust. Lt. Uhura was the only cast member there, and she seemed to be there primarily to promote her novel, which had nothing to do with Star Trek. She even read a passage. It should have been ghost written. It was the kind of scene they make fun of on late night TV with one big exception–the dozens of vendors selling crappy computers and other sundry electrotrash that outnumbered the legit Star Trek merchandise hawkers five to one. I won't be holding out any hope for Stevie to show [is she still alive?], so this is bound to be less disappointing. My elementary school music teacher in the 70s, Ms LaPorte, was such a big fan of Fleetwood Mac, she covered most of those ugly, asbestos music room sound-proofing tiles with five or six huge Fleetwood Mac posters that I realize now were probably included with the original vinyl albums (because they had creases). Don't know why some memories are so vivid. Ah, if only I had reverse memories and knew about eBay. I could have told her to take them down, fold them up, and put them away for 30 years. I have a feeling she could use the cash now, and she was cool.

No comments: